Animal Curbing

Animal Curbing Page Banner

The Animal Control and Animal Shelter Ordinance number 15-06 was adopted On May 19, 2015, and amended by Ordinance number 2017-17 which was adopted on October 3, 2017.

The following is the Animal Curbing Requirements section of the Ordinance.

(Scroll down to download the complete Animal Control Ordinance.)

6.04.060 Animal Curbing Requirements

1. No person knowingly shall allow a dog or cat which is kept by that person to defecate on a public street, byway, municipally owned or public land or building, or upon private property, unless the animal's owner or keeper promptly removes any feces to a waste container, or otherwise disposes of such material in a manner inoffensive to reasonable public sensibilities.

2. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph one (I) of this section, the owner of a dog serving a vision-impaired person in an auxiliary ocular capacity or in any capacity to assist such person with a physical impairment may permit such dog to relieve itself on ground situated outside of pedestrian or vehicular traffic ways, and is relieved of the requirement to remove any feces to the extent such requirement is impractical for a person of such impairment.

3. No person knowingly shall allow his or her dog or cat to disperse waste material placed for public or private collection upon any public street, or byway or right-of-way, or any municipally owned or public land or building, or upon private property.

4. Violations of this Section of the Animal Control Ordinances shall result in the owner of the responsible animal paying a fine of at least twenty-five ($25.00) dollars.

Download Complete Ordinance

CLICK HERE To Download Complete Animal Control Ordinance
Two cats and two puppies holding a sign

Porter County Animal Control serves all of Porter County EXCEPT FOR THE CITY OF PORTAGE. All information contained in this section of the website is only applicable to the areas served by Porter County Animal Control. If you live in the City of Portage, you will need to contact them directly at (219) 763-1825, as they may have different policies and ordinances.